Everybody loves munching a good but nutritious snack. You might have tried vegetable chips, but nothing is tastier than biltong. It is similar to beef jerky, but it differs in taste, texture, and health benefits.
Craving biltong? Here are five of the best biltong snacks that you should try:
Ember’s Original Flavor Beef Biltong
Brothers Jack and Harry came from humble origins before they created Ember. They grew up in the greener pastures of Suffolk, where they helped on their family farm. Ember’s processing of biltong snacks is all-natural, with no use of machines.
Aside from their mission of bringing tasty but healthy snacks, they stand strong in their belief that factory farming has detrimental effects on the environment and animals.
When it comes to trying biltong, the Original Recipe stands out. Ember’s Original Recipe is made from lean meat. It is packed with nutrients and has no added sugar or preservatives.
Kalahari Snacks’ Spicy Peri Peri
Kalahari Snacks was founded by best friends Fred Johnston and Tyler Noyes. Its creation is rooted in a Christopher Columbus-like discovery when they traveled to South Africa to join a series of marathons. Biltong was introduced to them by a teammate living in the region.
One of Kalahari Snacks’ most famous products is their Spicy Peri Peri biltong. Made from the finest American beef, each strip is flavorful and marinated with salt, vinegar, and robust spices, including coriander and rosemary. Last but not least, it is sprinkled with peri peri chili.
Aside from Spicy Peri Peri, Kalahari Snacks has a lot of flavorful options that can suit anyone’s preferences. You can check out flavors such as Garlic and Chili Lime. Or, if you want to have a taste of every biltong flavor in their selection, you can buy them in a bundle!
- Contains eight 2 oz. bags of Spicy Peri Peri Kalahari Biltong
- GUILT-FREE SNACKING: Zero carbs, Non-GMO, No MSG, Soy-free, Gluten-free, and is Keto and Paleo diet friendly.
- SIMPLE AND CLEAN: Kalahari Biltong has only six ingredients! Top round beef, vinegar, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and coriander.
- BETTER THAN JERKY: Kalahari Biltong has zero sugar, no fillers or hidden ingredients, and has more protein per serving (32g) than conventional jerky.
- PAIRS WITH EVERYTHING: Try Kalahari Biltong with omelets, pizza, salad, or pair with your favorite beer, wine, or Bloody Mary—the pairings are endless! Kalahari is a healthy snack for kid and adult lunchboxes and on-the-go snacking for the gym, camping, biking, hiking, skiing or on a road trip.
Brooklyn Biltong’s Steakhouse Garlic
Brooklyn Biltong’s founder Ben van den Heever has true South African roots where the snack originated. Growing up in Pretoria, he frequented the butchery owned by his grandfather. This upbringing inspired him to create one of the best biltong snacks that thousands of households enjoy today.
If you’re looking for less spicy yet tangy meat strips, their Steakhouse Garlic biltong is perfect for you! Its mouthwatering flavor will make you savor every second. The dried meat is made from grass-fed beef marinated with:
- Black pepper
What’s also special about Brooklyn Biltong’s snacks is that even though the meat underwent the drying process, the texture is moist, allowing you to taste the flavorful marinade.
- FAMILY RECIPE - The story of Brooklyn Biltong starts with the owner's grandpa, a South African butcher known for making incredible, delicious biltong. Brooklyn Biltong is introducing this beefy, delicious treat to America, using his authentic method
- NUTRITIOUS - With 240g of protein per bag and 0g carbs, Brooklyn Biltong is a healthy, natural snack. Unlike most processed jerky, it's made with grass-fed beef, and it's always sugar free, nitrate free, and gluten free.
- GREAT FLAVOR - Biltong is marinated in vinegar and spices before being air dried, a process that gives it an incredible steaky flavor, and tender, chewy bite.
- VERSATILE - Biltong is a perfect snack, but it can be eaten many other ways. Use it to top a pizza or salad, shred in soup or an eggs, or add to a cheese plate. Enjoy it on the go, at a party, after a workout, or on a hiking adventure or road trip.
- WHOLE30 APPROVED Brooklyn Biltong is the only commercially-prepared biltong that's officially approved by Whole30. With no added sugar or additives, and 0g carbs per serving, it's also keto and paleo-friendly, and makes a tasty, low-carb snack.
Stryve’s Sliced Biltong Teriyaki
Stryve is known for having the best biltong because they use 100% premium grade beef, and their products are made in their cutting-edge facility in Madill, Oklahoma. They boast of their biltong products being all-natural, meaning they don’t use any preservatives.
Among the selection in Stryve’s biltong snacks, Sliced Biltong Teriyaki stands out for its added Asian twist. Bringing the best of both worlds, the tastiness of teriyaki and air-dried biltong comes into one.
This combination guarantees that every bite is deliciously tender. It’s not just super delicious but also healthy since it’s high in protein, has zero carbs, and has no artificial flavoring.
If you’re craving all the flavors, you can purchase the Mega Pack bundle.
- Beef Jerky Done Better - Stryve Biltong is 100% beef with no sugar, no MSG, no nitrates and no preservatives PLUS it's gluten free. All natural. All flavorful.
- 50% More Protein - Stryve Biltong is always air dried to lock in flavor and nutrients. Boasting 16g of protein in each serving means it has up to 50% more protein than jerky. You'll never want to go back to jerky!
- No Sugar Low Carbs - Our high quality steak is sliced into lean strips and seasoned with one of our signature dry rubs. Then we air dry it just long enough to ensure every bite is mouthwateringly, deliciously tender. Delivering 0g sugar and 0g carbs in every serving!
- Gluten Free, Dairy Free - Made with a few simple ingredients and full of flavor that's high in protein, has zero sugar, zero carbs, and is made from nothing artificial. Super super keto and other diets-friendly (but also just super delicious).
- Easy Keto Snack, No Meal Prep - Training for a triathlon? Commuting to work? Carpooling kids between practices? Our colorful, portable packs are ready to rip, wherever you are. Because hunger doesn't hit only when it's convenient. Grab n go! No meal prep needed!
Righteous Felon Ancho Villa Beef Biltong
Among the brands mentioned on this list, Righteous Felon is a unique one, starting from their wrappers. Its design resembles a wanted sign in the wild wild west, and pictured on the cover is a cow in a mugshot. Each flavor is paired with characters with witty names. However, what’s surprising about their wrappers is that they’re made of eco-friendly materials.
Righteous Felon’s Ancho Villa Beef Biltong has a sizzling flavor. The meat is thinly sliced and dry-aged for 21 days. Its top-quality taste comes from a marinade containing vinegar, red wine, and various peppers, including:
- RIGHTEOUS FELON BILTONG: We have crafted a biltong flavor so good you won’t stop eating it until the bag is gone. A satisfying air dried meat snack packed with 16 GRAMS OF PROTEIN PER SERVING AND ZERO SUGAR! Perfect for your keto diet or anyone looking for a sugar free, low carb snack!
- ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Unlike unhealthy beef jerky & meat sticks that are still full of questionable chemicals, Righteous Felon’s keto jerky uses all-natural ingredients that you are familiar with. Contains no artificial flavors or colors!
- REINVENTING FLAVORS: Righteous Felon has reinvented the traditional South African jerky snack packs with bold, innovative flavors. Our jerky variety pack features black garlic, cracked pepper and dill, and spicy ancho peppers. Made with great care in small batches to bring the best out of that familiarly American flavor of dried meat.
- HEALTHY KETO AND PALEO SNACKS REDEFINED: You don’t need fancy snacks or trail mix to address your hunger pangs, when you can count on old-fashioned American beef biltong jerky to keep you going. Protein packed, gluten free snacks free of artificial flavors & chemicals. Grab a bag on the go!
- LOCALLY SOURCED, HORMONE FREE: We use pasture-fed beef sourced from the American Black Angus Farms in Maryland. 100% antibiotics & growth hormone free beef jerky for delicious keto and paleo snacks.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions about this protein-packed snack.
Is biltong good for you?
Yes! Biltong is a healthy, high-protein snack.
Even though it comes in various flavors, it is a rich source of iron, protein, and other essential nutrients such as magnesium, potassium, and B vitamins.
Is biltong better than jerky?
Absolutely! Aside from its health benefits, biltong has the upper hand when it comes to quality. In terms of size and texture, biltong is flexible since it comes in different cuts, and though it is made of dried meat, it can be moist and fatty.
What is the South African snack biltong?
Biltong originated in South Africa. It came from a custom of African communities where they prepare slabs or thin slices of meat by drying and marinating them with spices.
What should I serve biltong with?
Biltong is best served alongside other snacks like chips, nuts, and dried fruits. You can also use it as a pizza or sandwich topping.