The meat you can order at authentic Korean BBQ restaurants is decadent and rich in flavor.
But how can you replicate this delicious flavor at home? The answer is to buy your very own bottle of Korean BBQ sauce!
There are many Korean BBQ sauce brands (plus Gochujang!) to choose from, so it can be hard to decide on one.
The Best Korean BBQ Sauce Brands
If you want to keep a delicious Korean BBQ sauce on hand at all times, find a brand you love!
Below are the eight best Korean BBQ sauce brands to consider making a staple in your pantry. Some are spicy, while others are mild and sweet.
Check out the details of each to see which one speaks to your tastebuds.
Bibigo gets the number one spot on this list because the flavor is out of this world. Your mouth will start watering just from the smell of this rich sauce.
This Korean BBQ sauce is made with pear and apple puree, making it slightly sweet with earthy flavors (making it also vegan). But it still has a zippy flavor with strong notes of pepper that perfectly complement your favorite cut of meat.
The company offers a mild original sauce or a hot and spicy version that will clear your sinuses and create vibrant, spicy dishes.
Lee Kum Kee
If you want an authentic and traditional Korean BBQ sauce, look no further than Lee Kum Kee’s sauce. This soy-based sauce features onion, garlic, and sesame for the classic Korean BBQ flavor you know and love.
Other sauces on this list cater to common allergies like gluten and soy, but this recipe doesn’t skip any of the traditional bulgogi ingredients. But with the Lee Kum Kee BBQ sauce, you can make genuine Korean BBQ that will wow your tastebuds.
Kogi is an Asian food brand developed by the successful Chef Roy Choi. This sauce uses a traditional Korean bulgogi recipe, delivering familiar and warm flavors that enhance any meat dish. A bit of molasses and a splash of orange juice bring the sesame flavors to life.
This sauce is anything but bland, so you can expect this sauce to be the star of any meal you make. The only downside, if you see it as a downside, is that Chef Roy Choi’s Korean BBQ sauce is only available for sale in large quantities of half a gallon.
If you want a fancy Korean BBQ sauce brand, shop the sauce from the Sutter Buttes! Sutter Buttes is a company that makes and sells natural and artisan foods, with a focus on high-end olive oil.
Their bulgogi sauce has a sweet and complex taste, featuring familiar Korean flavors with a twist. It has a slight kick from red chili flakes, but the taste evens out with the pears and ginger puree.
In 2020, this sauce won the Scovie Award, recognizing top barbecue, savory, and spicy food products from around the world.
Korean BBQ sauces aren’t typically super spicy, but if you live a little fire, try KFire’sSpicy Korean BBQ Sauce. The sauce is packed with flavor, so it doesn’t need to sit for long to act as a phenomenal marinade on your meat.
This sauce has a stronger tomato flavor when compared to other options on this list, making it more versatile and sweet. The combination of sweet and spicy makes for a sophisticated flavor that can elevate any meal.
Kevin’s Natural Foods
Kevin’s Natural Foods is a wonderful company for people who want to shop conscientiously. Kevin’s Korean BBQ sauce is paleo-certified, keto-certified, gluten-free, non-GMO, soy-free, and dairy-free!
The sauce contains coconut nectar, sea salt, coconut sugar, vinegar, an array of spices, and garlic. One of the more unique ingredients is lemongrass puree, giving the sauce herby notes. It’s definitely not low sodium.
Kevin’s recipe differs slightly from traditional bulgogi sauce, so it’s a great choice if you want to try something out of the norm.
We Love You
We Love You makes an array of delicious sauces and dry rubs for you to craft the most delicious BBQ ever. The company’s Korean BBQ Bulgogi sauce has a tart sweetness balanced with loads of garlic.
This version is not spicy, offering a mild flavor, but if you want something with a bit of heat, We Love You also makes a spicy bulgogi sauce! The toasted sesame flavor comes through prominently in this sauce, delivering a rich umami flavor.
Ocean’s Halo is another brand that focuses on eliminating allergens so everyone can enjoy this delectable sauce. The Ocean’s Halo Korean BBQ sauce is organic, vegan, non-GMO, gluten-free, soy-free, and made with sustainably farmed ingredients.
The taste is a departure from the classic Korean BBQ flavor but delivers the same level of umami and finger-licking goodness. The sauce has red jalapenos and tahini in it, giving it a moderate level of heat and a thick, gooey consistency ideal for marinating meat!
What Is Korean BBQ Sauce and What Is It For?
Korean BBQ sauce, also called bulgogi sauce, is a popular Asian sauce used to marinate meats for grilling. It’s a super sticky sauce that has layers of sweet, savory, and spicy flavors, similar to teriyaki, but with more umami.
It’s traditionally made with soy sauce, ginger, rice vinegar, garlic, and a sweetener like sugar. This thick, dark caramel-colored sauce has become popular for more than meats, as people now use it on pizza or as a dipping sauce.
Now that you know what the sauce is, let’s discuss the best ways to utilize this yummy ingredient!
Korean BBQ sauce is excellent for BBQ food, of course. One of the best ways to use these Korean BBQ sauces is to marinate your favorite meat or protein in them, whether it’s beef, pork, chicken, shrimp, or fish.
You can slather it on your chicken wings after you cook them, or let your beef marinate in the sauce for hours to create a rich, complex flavor.
Dipping or Dressing
A simpler way to use this yummy sauce is as a dip or dressing. You can dress an Asian salad with a tablespoon of this sauce, or spread a layer on your sandwich for added flavor.
It’s very popular to use the sauce as a dip for chicken fingers or other finger foods, like french fries! Whatever you can dip, it probably goes well with this versatile BBQ sauce.
Finally, a bottle of Korean BBQ sauce can make stir-fry night a lot easier. Instead of combining an array of Asian ingredients to achieve the perfect flavor, add a spoonful or two of your favorite Korean BBQ sauce. It can give practically any meal an Asian twist to bring the flavors to life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Check out the commonly asked questions about Korean BBQ sauce brands if you have more questions.
What sauce is used for Korean BBQ?
Bulgogi, ssamjang, teriyaki, and Gojuchang are common sauces used in Korean BBQ.
Is Bibigo Korean BBQ sauce the same as bulgogi?
Yes, Bibigo is the number one global Korean cuisine brand, and its Korean BBQ sauce is the same as bulgogi sauce.
Is Korean-style BBQ spicy?
Usually, Korean BBQ has a bit of spice but is not too overwhelming. However, you can use extra spicy sauces to kick the heat level up a notch (it’s still spicier than, say, Kansas City style).
How do you use Korean BBQ bottle sauce?
- Product Type:Grocery
- Item Package Quantity:1
- Item Package Weight:1.056 lbs
- Country Of Origin: Korea, Republic Of (South)
- Great as a marinade, grilling, basting and stir-frying sauce for chicken or pork
- Delicious marinade for a Korean inspired dinner
- No.1 Korean BBQ Sauce in Korea from 2003 to 2013 (sources:nielsen Korea)
- MARINADE, CONDIMENT, DIPPING SAUCE ALL IN ONE: Perfect for pairing for any beef, chicken, pork, or seafood dish, there are endless ways to enjoy our BBQ sauce. Get creative while cooking at home!
- EASY TO USE: Simply apply our sauce on any dish, when grilling, sautéing, or on stir-frying. When marinating, soak for 30 minutes or longer to taste the fresh and rich flavors of the sauce.
- PERFECT BLEND OF QUALITY INGREDIENTS: With ginger and roasted sesame in the recipe, our sauce is made with authentic and delicious ingredients that have 0g saturated fat and 0mg cholesterol.
- SWEET & SAVORY: Sweetened with apple and pear purees that help to tenderize the meat. Our Korean BBQ sauce makes eating galbi, bulgogi, or any meat dish at home easy and delicious.
- TASTE OF BIBIGO: CJ bibigo Korean BBQ sauce has been Korea's favorite for over 30 years. Rooted in Korean culinary traditions, bibigo brings the authentic flavors alive that are definitely worth sharing!
- 29.6 Ounce (840g); product of South Korea
- Korea's no.1 BBQ marinade brand
- Made with Korean pear and apple which create sweet and fruity flavor, enhancing the tenderness of meat.
- Great as a marinade, grilling, basting and stir-frying sauce for beef
- Use to make delicious Korean barbecue
- Made with authentic fermented Korean Gochujang, bibigo's Gochujang Barbecue Sauce is excellent for dipping, glazing, and seasoning
- Delicious barbecuse sauce with a spicy kick from gochujang! It's about time for a NEW kind of barbecue sauce
- Treat your family to a pleasant surprise in your next barbecue chicken, barbecue chicken pizza, barbecue ribs, and barbecue bacon burger
- Contains wheat, soybean
- Contains (1) 11.5-oz bottle