Unlike other kinds of meat, bacon can be particularly tricky to cook evenly. It likes to curl up, leaving a weird combination of crispiness and chewiness.
Instead of dealing with the guesswork of trying to cook the perfect bacon, let’s take a look at a tool that can solve the problem. That tool is the bacon grill press.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. Thank you!
What Is A Bacon Grill Press?
There’s no denying that bacon is delicious, but cooking it can be a bit of a hassle.
The meat is sliced into pretty thin strips, often resulting in waves forming as it comes into contact with heat. On top of that, bacon grease likes to dance around in the pan. Nobody wants to be splattered by hot bacon grease, so a solution is often needed.
A bacon grill press is a tool you can use to solve multiple problems. It looks something like a clothes iron, but with a lot less bulk. Instead, the bacon press is made up of a handle and a flat, cast iron plate.
That plate works to keep your bacon flat as well as reduce dangerous grease splatter and bacon smoke. Basically, that means you end up with higher-quality cooking with less hassle. Using a bacon grill press may even save you some time!
How Is A Bacon Grill Press Helpful?
When the bacon you’re cooking is allowed to curl up, you can easily end up with bacon that is overcooked in some areas and undercooked in others.
A bacon press pushes the bacon down so that it lays flat against the bottom of the skillet. Consequently, all sections can cook at the same rate.
Because both the skillet and the bacon press will get hot, the bacon will also cook more quickly. That means families on the go or those who are cooking for a larger group won’t have to spend too much time in front of the hot stove.
How Do You Cook Bacon On A Bacon Grill Press?
Cooking with the help of a bacon grill press isn’t all that different from cooking without one.
To begin with, you need to start with the right tools. Many will argue that you will get the best results by using a cast-iron skillet as well as a cast-iron bacon press.
According to Michigan State University, cast iron is a great nonstick solution, it’s highly durable, and it even adds some iron to your foods.
That said, you can also use a steel pan with a steel or glass bacon press if you wish.
Here are the steps to cooking with a bacon grill press:
- To begin with, make sure that both your skillet and bacon press are clean and pre-seasoned if needed.
- While the temperature is at low heat, place the press into the pan for a minute or two so that both tools can heat up.
- Remove the press from the pan and add your bacon to the pan.
- Set the bacon press on top of the bacon for about a minute for each side.
- Set aside the bacon press and allow the bacon to continue cooking until it looks ready to eat.
Pros and Cons Of The Bacon Press
Before you decide to spend money on a new kitchen tool, it’s a good idea to know how it can be helpful and what downfalls might come with the product.
When it comes to bacon grill presses, convenience is the name of the game. Using one allows for easier cooking.
Although not everyone will be concerned about how flat their bacon is as it cooks, many of us are aware of how volatile bacon can get when you’re cooking it in a skillet (especially if its tempeh, turkey, or candied).
A bacon press can reduce that volatility and ensure your bacon cooks the same way every time.
That said, bacon presses are typically made of cast iron. This material tends to need more care than your standard nonstick cookware. As a result, bacon presses do need to be pre-seasoned and washed by hand only.
Bacon Grill Press Pros
- Helps bacon to cook evenly
- Reduces grease splattering
- Produces consistent results
- Faster cooking
Bacon Grill Press Cons
- Requires pre-seasoning
- Hand wash only
What Else Can A Bacon Grill Press Be Used For?
Even the largest kitchens have limited space, so it doesn’t usually make sense to purchase a tool just to complete one small task.
Many of the tools that typically show up in the kitchen space have multiple uses. Blenders, mixers, and even coffee makers can be used in a variety of different ways.
The bacon grill press is no different. Although its primary use is in cooking bacon more efficiently, it can also be used in many other ways. Things like quesadillas, paninis, and even vegetables can benefit from this tool.
Other uses for a bacon grill press include the following:
- Burgers (instead of a George Foreman grill)
- Pork chops
- Seared vegetables
- Paninis (instead of a sandwich press)
What Can You Use Instead Of A Bacon Grill Press?
Naturally, a bacon grill press is ideal because it’s specifically designed for bacon. However, if you don’t have a bacon grill press, or just want to see what kinds of results you could get from flattening your bacon, there are other tools you can use.
The following tools can be used to achieve similar results to a bacon grill press:
- Other types of grill presses. Many presses are built similarly. Those who don’t have a bacon grill press can also use a regular grill press, Chef’s press, or a hamburger press. The biggest requirement is that the press is heavy enough to keep the bacon down.
- Cold water. Before cooking, you can try dipping your bacon in cold water. This can assist in keeping the bacon flattened. Just make sure that the water is extremely cold.
- A wire rack. Wire racks are often a great choice to use in the oven. By laying out your bacon strips on top of one, you can help it to cook evenly and allow the grease to drip into the pan beneath.
Is A Grill Press Worth It?
You certainly don’t need a bacon grill press in order to cook and enjoy some bacon. That said, having one can make the experience better.
Not only can a bacon press create better results, it also allows your bacon to cook more quickly. On top of that, there are multiple uses available for a bacon press that make it more cost-efficient to own.
For evenly-cooked meats, perfectly-crisp quesadillas, and warm panini sandwiches, it’s definitely worthwhile to add a bacon grill press to your kitchen equipment.
Grill Press Bestsellers
- Get Perfectly Seared Meat - With its wide design, this flat top grill press helps you cook food evenly. Adding weight on your meat also results in bold grill lines that make food look more delicious.
- Grilling Made Faster - Our pre-seasoned cast iron press transfers heat evenly on your meat, vegetables, and sandwiches to help you cook food quicker. You can use this on your grill, griddle, or pan.
- Enjoy Healthy & Flavorful Food - Pressing down on your food wrings out excess oil, allowing you to enjoy delicious food with less grease. It also helps keep your bacon and seafood from curling.
- Cook Like A Pro - This griddle press features a non-slip base with grooves that keep it from sliding. It even comes with a cool-touch wooden handle to keep your hands and fingers safe from the heat.
- A Breeze To Maintain - Cleaning this flat grill press is easy. All you have to do is scrub it with soap and water to remove grease and food residue. Wipe it dry with a clean cloth and you’re done!
- 【HEAVY-DUTY CAST IRON GRILL PRESS】 :Our barbeque grill press is made of heavy duty food grade cast iron. Use the grill weight to press out unwanted grease and fat, safe to use in the oven, on the stove, on the grill, griddle, or campfire. The press can also be seasoned like cast-iron skillets to create a non-stick surface.
- 【SAFE-TOUCH ,COMFORT-GRIP WOOD HANDLE】: Wooden handle, has ergonomic design to reduce hand fatigue while ensuring a secure and comfortable grip. Made of natural wood, the handle of meat press is smooth without any burrs, insulate heat transfer that's heat-proof and always remain cool to touch. Firmly attached to the cast iron smash burger press with two screws.
- 【LESS TIME COOKING, MORE TIME EATING】: Healthy cooking, burger smasher for griddle can transfers heat evenly to food when pressing it. At the time it prevents food like bacon from curling, it can also prevents some part will be over cooked, some are still raw. Press out unwanted excess fat and oils from meats for healthy grilling and shorten the cooking time.
- 【PROFESSIONAL TEXTURED DESIGN GROOVED BOTTOM】: Our kitchen grill press is designed to give your meats and sandwiches restaurant quality grill marks, keeps the press positioned, and prevents bacon from curling, ensuring it looks as good as it tastes!
- 【WIDE APPLICATIONS】: Bacon press for griddle is a professional indoor kitchen and outdoor BBQ, camping flat top grill tool. The smash burger press can be used on various surfaces, including grills, griddles, flat tops, teppanyaki, skillets pans, and induction stoves. Ideal for food like bacon, sandwich, burgers, chicken, steak, Paninis.
- THE SECRET TO THE BEST BACON: Take control of tangly bacon on the pan or grill with the ideal solution for flawless searing. With this specially crafted 3 lbs press the next bacon, steak or sandwich you cook will sear evenly, eliminating raw or overcooked sections. Sized to be able to fit nearly any area you cook in.
- FOOD GRADE PRESS | 100% HEAVY-DUTY CAST IRON: Avoid harmful PTFE or PFOA chemicals that other presses use with our food-grade iron cookware. The Bellman Bacon Press might just be the most indestructible cooking tool you use. Made with heavy-duty cast iron, the press can also be seasoned like cast-iron skillets to create a non-stick surface (instructions included).
- EQUALIZED WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION FOR PERFECT GRILL MARKS EVERY TIME: Pre-heat your beautiful Bellman Bacon Press on the pan. Then apply the equalized 3 lbs pressure to your food of choice for a short time. When you remove it, smile at the beautiful creation you’ve made. Share it with loved ones or have it all to yourself.
- STAY-COOL HANDLE: THINK SAFE | ACT SAFE | COOK SAFE: Press and lift without fear or need of cooking gloves. We manufactured our press with a stylish all-cool wood handle. Because you only have two hands—protect them with Bellemain.
- LESS TIME COOKING, MORE TIME EATING: Got people coming over, and want perfect, consistent bacon, quick? The Bellemain signature iron grill press is 8.75-inch in diameter and presses down on your favorite thin meats to make them cook faster and more evenly.
- HIC Kitchen’s Cast Iron Bacon Press flattens bacon to prevent curling and shrinking so bacon cooks evenly with more crispy surfaces and less mess
- Made from cast iron with stay-cool wooden handle; distributes heat evenly; 6.75-inches x 4-inches cooking surface; preheat for faster cooking time
- Easy to season before first use; wash and dry thoroughly, coat frying pan and Press lightly with cooking oil, heat in the pan on low 20 minutes
- Press paninis, keep steaks, burgers, and pork chops from curling or remove unwanted fat, press out whey when making cheese, thick yoghurt, and more
- Easy to use and clean; hand wash in warm, soapy water; rinse and dry thoroughly