Unlike other kinds of meat, bacon can be particularly tricky to cook evenly. It likes to curl up, leaving a weird combination of crispiness and chewiness.
Instead of dealing with the guesswork of trying to cook the perfect bacon, let’s take a look at a tool that can solve the problem. That tool is the bacon grill press.
What Is A Bacon Grill Press?
There’s no denying that bacon is delicious, but cooking it can be a bit of a hassle.
The meat is sliced into pretty thin strips, often resulting in waves forming as it comes into contact with heat. On top of that, bacon grease likes to dance around in the pan. Nobody wants to be splattered by hot bacon grease, so a solution is often needed.
A bacon grill press is a tool you can use to solve multiple problems. It looks something like a clothes iron, but with a lot less bulk. Instead, the bacon press is made up of a handle and a flat, cast iron plate.
That plate works to keep your bacon flat as well as reduce dangerous grease splatter and bacon smoke. Basically, that means you end up with higher-quality cooking with less hassle. Using a bacon grill press may even save you some time!
How Is A Bacon Grill Press Helpful?
When the bacon you’re cooking is allowed to curl up, you can easily end up with bacon that is overcooked in some areas and undercooked in others.
A bacon press pushes the bacon down so that it lays flat against the bottom of the skillet. Consequently, all sections can cook at the same rate.
Because both the skillet and the bacon press will get hot, the bacon will also cook more quickly. That means families on the go or those who are cooking for a larger group won’t have to spend too much time in front of the hot stove.
How Do You Cook Bacon On A Bacon Grill Press?
Cooking with the help of a bacon grill press isn’t all that different from cooking without one.
To begin with, you need to start with the right tools. Many will argue that you will get the best results by using a cast-iron skillet as well as a cast-iron bacon press.
According to Michigan State University, cast iron is a great nonstick solution, it’s highly durable, and it even adds some iron to your foods.
That said, you can also use a steel pan with a steel or glass bacon press if you wish.
Here are the steps to cooking with a bacon grill press:
- To begin with, make sure that both your skillet and bacon press are clean and pre-seasoned if needed.
- While the temperature is at low heat, place the press into the pan for a minute or two so that both tools can heat up.
- Remove the press from the pan and add your bacon to the pan.
- Set the bacon press on top of the bacon for about a minute for each side.
- Set aside the bacon press and allow the bacon to continue cooking until it looks ready to eat.
Pros and Cons Of The Bacon Press
Before you decide to spend money on a new kitchen tool, it’s a good idea to know how it can be helpful and what downfalls might come with the product.
When it comes to bacon grill presses, convenience is the name of the game. Using one allows for easier cooking.
Although not everyone will be concerned about how flat their bacon is as it cooks, many of us are aware of how volatile bacon can get when you’re cooking it in a skillet (especially if its tempeh, turkey, or candied).
A bacon press can reduce that volatility and ensure your bacon cooks the same way every time.
That said, bacon presses are typically made of cast iron. This material tends to need more care than your standard nonstick cookware. As a result, bacon presses do need to be pre-seasoned and washed by hand only.
Bacon Grill Press Pros
- Helps bacon to cook evenly
- Reduces grease splattering
- Produces consistent results
- Faster cooking
Bacon Grill Press Cons
- Requires pre-seasoning
- Hand wash only
What Else Can A Bacon Grill Press Be Used For?
Even the largest kitchens have limited space, so it doesn’t usually make sense to purchase a tool just to complete one small task.
Many of the tools that typically show up in the kitchen space have multiple uses. Blenders, mixers, and even coffee makers can be used in a variety of different ways.
The bacon grill press is no different. Although its primary use is in cooking bacon more efficiently, it can also be used in many other ways. Things like quesadillas, paninis, and even vegetables can benefit from this tool.
Other uses for a bacon grill press include the following:
- Burgers (instead of a George Foreman grill)
- Pork chops
- Seared vegetables
- Paninis (instead of a sandwich press)
What Can You Use Instead Of A Bacon Grill Press?
Naturally, a bacon grill press is ideal because it’s specifically designed for bacon. However, if you don’t have a bacon grill press, or just want to see what kinds of results you could get from flattening your bacon, there are other tools you can use.
The following tools can be used to achieve similar results to a bacon grill press:
- Other types of grill presses. Many presses are built similarly. Those who don’t have a bacon grill press can also use a regular grill press, Chef’s press, or a hamburger press. The biggest requirement is that the press is heavy enough to keep the bacon down.
- Cold water. Before cooking, you can try dipping your bacon in cold water. This can assist in keeping the bacon flattened. Just make sure that the water is extremely cold.
- A wire rack. Wire racks are often a great choice to use in the oven. By laying out your bacon strips on top of one, you can help it to cook evenly and allow the grease to drip into the pan beneath.
Is A Grill Press Worth It?
You certainly don’t need a bacon grill press in order to cook and enjoy some bacon. That said, having one can make the experience better.
Not only can a bacon press create better results, it also allows your bacon to cook more quickly. On top of that, there are multiple uses available for a bacon press that make it more cost-efficient to own.
For evenly-cooked meats, perfectly-crisp quesadillas, and warm panini sandwiches, it’s definitely worthwhile to add a bacon grill press to your kitchen equipment.
Grill Press Bestsellers
- CAST IRON CONSTRUCTION: Durable cast iron press weighs 2. 8-pound
- WOOD HANDLE: The wooden handle provides a comfortable grip with a stylish touch
- HEALTHY GRILLING: Press out unwanted excess fat and oils from meats
- GRILL MARKS: Add incredible looking grill marks to any meat
- GREAT FOR SANDWICHES: Make delicious homemade panini sandwiches or grilled cheese right on the griddle!
- THE SECRET TO THE BEST BACON: Take control of tangly bacon on the pan or grill with the ideal solution for flawless searing. With this specially crafted 3 lbs press the next bacon, steak or sandwich you cook will sear evenly, eliminating raw or overcooked sections. Sized to be able to fit nearly any area you cook in.
- FOOD GRADE PRESS | 100% HEAVY-DUTY CAST IRON: Avoid harmful PTFE or PFOA chemicals that other presses use with our food-grade iron cookware. The Bellman Bacon Press might just be the most indestructible cooking tool you use. Made with heavy-duty cast iron, the press can also be seasoned like cast-iron skillets to create a non-stick surface (instructions included).
- EQUALIZED WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION FOR PERFECT GRILL MARKS EVERY TIME: Pre-heat your beautiful Bellman Bacon Press on the pan. Then apply the equalized 3 lbs pressure to your food of choice for a short time. When you remove it, smile at the beautiful creation you’ve made. Share it with loved ones or have it all to yourself.
- STAY-COOL HANDLE: THINK SAFE | ACT SAFE | COOK SAFE: Press and lift without fear or need of cooking gloves. We manufactured our press with a stylish all-cool wood handle. Because you only have two hands—protect them with Bellemain.
- LESS TIME COOKING, MORE TIME EATING: Got people coming over, and want perfect, consistent bacon, quick? The Bellemain signature iron grill press is 8.75-inch in diameter and presses down on your favorite thin meats to make them cook faster and more evenly.
- Culinary Series extra large griddle press is a must-have tool by Blackstone that you need to take your cooking to the next level. Your sandwiches and burgers never looked or tasted so good! Perfect for making grilled sandwiches like paninis.
- Commercial grade premium quality. Just like the professionals, evenly cook your favorite foods like bacon, burgers, sausage, and so much more. Step up your griddling and grilling game with the Blackstone Griddle Press.
- New cast iron design. The Blackstone griddle burger press is crafted with heavy-gauge cast iron, which is perfect for giving that burger the extra something it's been missing. Now keep your bacon from curling and add appetizing grill marks!
- Rubber grip & heat-resistant handle. With a heat-resistant rubber-grip handle, you can pick up your cast iron griddle press from the griddle without burning your hands upon touch. Plus, the no-slip grip means you don't have to worry about slipping.
- Grooves on the underside. This Blackstone XL bacon griddle press not only grills the outer sides of your food but also heats up the content and flavors. Now grill your favorite sandwiches and burgers easily and quickly with its extra-large size!
- UNCO cast iron grill press is composed of 100% food-grade cast iron with no toxic coatings that can leach into your food, and it's strong and corrosion-resistant. This 8.5" x 4.1" grill press with a large surface can flatten and shape more food at once, preventing bacon, steaks, and pork chops from curling after pressing.
- Our bacon press is heavy enough to place on meat without holding and makes your hands free. The equalized weight distribution of the press helps to cook the meat evenly on both sides, and the non-stick bottom of the press is designed with the line grooves to form beautiful grill marks on the meat, increasing the visual appeal.
- Reduce cooking time by preheating the meat press before using it on burgers, bacon, ham, grilled sandwiches, hamburgers, panini, and chops. The meat press can press out extra grease or liquid for a healthier diet and aid in cooking meat more uniformly, and reduce cooking time.
- The meat press's handle is made of natural wood, which is heat resistant and smooth without any burrs. Its ergonomic design reduces hand fatigue while ensuring a secure and comfortable grip. The wooden handle is firmly attached to the cast iron bottom with two screws, preventing it from falling or losing.
- UNCO cast iron grill press is a professional indoor and outdoor grill tool created for cooking enthusiasts and chefs. The grill press can be used on various surfaces, including grills, griddles, flat tops, teppanyaki, skillets pans, and induction stoves, allowing you to enjoy delicious dishes in the kitchen, restaurant, or while camping.