Fancy is as fancy does, and there isn’t anything fancier than Wagyu Picanha. But, you want to know what you’re ordering at $79 for a one-pound steak.
Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate, this site earns from qualifying purchases. Thank you!
What is Wagyu picanha?
Ordering Wagyu picanha and knowing what it actually means are two different things. We will break down what it means so you know what you’re planning on eating.
What does the word Wagyu mean?
Wagyu originates in Japan and refers to all Japanese beef cattle breeds. ‘Wa’ translates to the word Japanese. The word ‘gyu’ means cow.
What is a Wagyu cow?
Wagyu cows cost $30,000 apiece because specialty breeders raise them until they are somewhere between seven and ten months old.
When the cattle are sold, it comes with a certified birth certificate to prove a pure bloodline.
What kind of meat is picanha?
Picanha is a cut of beef, or steak, that is cut from the rump cap muscle of a cow. The meat is insanely tender because a cow doesn’t use that muscle much and has an incredible layer of fat.
Picanha vs. Tri-Tip
- Picanha and tri-tip come from different parts of a cow. The tri-tip from the bottom, or tip, of the sirloin.
- Tri-tip is more triangular than picanha. Picanha is rounder than tri-top.
- Picanha has less marbling than tri-tip.
Is picanha the same as Wagyu?
Picanha is a cut of meat, and Wagyu refers to a type of cow.
You can get a picanha steak that isn’t Wagyu.
Is Wagyu picanha tender?
If you listen to the tales of the rich, you won’t find a more tender steak in your entire life (ditto burgers). Let’s break down just how tender.
Picture the perfect ribeye with beautiful and glistening marbling. Now, close your eyes, and feel the texture and taste.
Wagyu picanha is that experience times ten. You barely require a knife because it cuts like butter.
Can I eat the fat on picanha?
The fat on a Wagyu picanha is a must-eat. It not only holds the beef flavor, but it adds to it.
Picanha vs. Top Sirloin
- Top sirloin with the fat cap left intact is the closest steak cut to picanha in the United States.
- Picanha comes from the cap muscle. It is above the top sirloin and rump areas.
What does Wagyu picanha taste like?
If you want a hearty, beefy flavor, Wagyu picanha is where it is at. It has the fat cap akin to brisket point and the marbling of a filet mignon. What else could you possibly want out of a steak?
The thick fat cap on picanha makes it perfect meat to grill on an open flame and keeps it tender and succulent.
How do I cook Wagyu picanha?
Every culture cooks juicy beef differently. Brazilians tend to skewer picanha into a horseshoe shape before cooking it over an open flame. But, we are going to start off with a simple cook recipe.
How do I grill Wagyu picanha?
The last thing anyone wants to do is ruin an expensive cut of meat, especially picanha. And grilling is an easy way to keep your eye on the steak and ensure there is tons of flavor.
- Get your grill hot and ready.
- Sear one side for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Flip that beautiful cut of meat and sear the other side.
- You will then want to reduce your heat to low.
- The steaks need moving to a part of the grill that is not directly exposed to the flame.
- Let your picanha cook for an additional 5 to ten minutes.
- Use an internal meat thermometer to reach your perfect temperature.
- Eat up and enjoy each bite like it was worth a dollar apiece. – oh, right, they are.
Can I pan sear picanha?
If you have a grill or can’t stand a smoky taste, the fantastic news is that you can pan fry picanha into perfection.
- Get your skillet or sauté pan nice and hot.
- Add 1 Tablespoon of butter (or 2 Tablespoons olive oil for the health-conscious)
- You will first want to place the picanha fat side down.
- It is time you toss your garlic into the pan.
- Allow it to cook for about 4 minutes before adding your herbs, butter, and seasoning.
- You will rotate and turn the meat to cook it for 60 to 90 seconds on every side.
- Continuously baste the Wagyu picanha steak with the butter.
- When it hits your desired temperature, take it out of the pan and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
Where do I buy Wagyu picanha?
Of course, you can find Wagyu Picchu at most upscale steakhouses. You might even get lucky and know of a spot specializing in it.
People dabbling in the foody lifestyle or just want to know what the hype is about, need to know where to find the best Wagyu picanha steak.
Local Butchers Are the Best
If you can find it locally, buy it locally. It is super fresh, and you can request any cut of meat you want.
Quality butchers know their meat and will recognize a picanha cut at first cut.
Ranchers Are the Second Best
You may find a rancher or two that raises, butchers, and sells beef directly to you.
You are guaranteeing freshness while keeping your business local.
Frozen Beef Suppliers
You can easily access Picanha cut using frozen meat subscriptions. It does give you options and choices when you subscribe to a monthly meat plan. But, it is still not as fresh as you may want it.
Online Meat Delivery Services
If not, you can find some out there, but don’t expect the best quality; it is coming by mail, after all.