If you’ve ever heard of thawing trays, you may have asked yourself a few questions. How do thawing trays work? Are thawing trays actually effective? If it’s worth it, should you invest in a thawing tray or two?
Many people know the frustration of getting home, being hungry but forgetting to pull something out of the freezer the night before. For a lot of frozen food (especially frozen meat like ribs), thawing in the refrigerator takes too much time.
Cooking it from the freezer without thawing doesn’t yield yummy results. Thawing it in the microwave? For some types of food (like vegetables or soups), that may be fine. For other types of food, thawing by microwave is sloppy or even downright dangerous.
So, thawing trays just might be a cook’s heavenly solution to common culinary problems. Even better, there are several methods you can use to make thawing trays more effective if you decide to add them to your collection.
The Science Behind Thawing / Defrosting Process
First, take a look at what a thawing tray actually is to understand what it does. Thawing trays, sometimes called defrosting trays or plates, do exactly what its title suggests.
It helps thaw food. While there are different ways of doing that without one, a thawing tray expedites that process in a way that doesn’t foster food spoilage.
The process of safely thawing food can be a tricky one. It truly is a balancing act. Anytime food reaches a temperature of 40℉, it enters the infamous “danger zone” that many chefs and cooks are aware of – and also wary of.
That means all-day countertop thawing is a no-no. It’s also why quick thawing methods, such as microwave defrosting, are a dice roll. Unless the food is to be immediately cooked, it’s not the best method to use.
Cold water submersion and refrigerator thawing have a steady place in safe defrosting, but, once again, it can take too long.
Enter the beautiful world and function of thawing trays. These ingenious inventions are a dinner-saving segue when you’re short on time, but don’t want to risk foodborne illness.
How Thawing / Defrosting Trays Work
The magic of the thawing tray or defrost tray is summoned from its heat-conducting materials.
Commonly made with metals such as aluminum or copper, these metals have an amazing ability to quickly conduct heat. Those same metals also have a knack for quickly disposing of that same heat.
Because of its metal composition, a thawing tray is a chameleon of a kitchen tool. Whatever temperature surrounds it, or that it comes into contact with, the tray will match it. It doesn’t matter if it’s cold or hot.
That’s what makes it such an effective defrosting gadget. It matches the temperature of the food and external environment to create a perfect (and safe) thawing atmosphere. Food doesn’t stay too cold, but it also doesn’t get too warm that it becomes unsafe.
The food warms up while the tray cools down. It’s a symbiotic technique because both food and tray affect each other. The upside is a quicker thaw that won’t make you sick. If you plan on using one, you will want to take into account the type of food you’re defrosting.
Liquids will melt much faster than a thick cut of meat will thaw. It will work, but you may need to allocate more time to the thawing process. The upside is that it’s still going to be quicker than the refrigerator or cold water submersion.
Four Tips to Use Thawing Trays Effectively
Even though thawing trays are refreshingly convenient in their own right, it doesn’t hurt to have a few tricks up your sleeve to increase their effectiveness.
There are several techniques that you can use to get optimal thawing progress from your defrosting tray.
Always Make Sure Thawing Trays Are at Room Temperature
You don’t want to give a willing and waiting thawing tray a starting disadvantage. You want to make sure that wonderful tool will be able to do its job as soon as possible.
Make sure that the thawing tray is at room temperature before you put anything on it. That gives it an optimal chance to effectively defrost the food without it having to heat up or cool down to work.
A thawing tray standing at room temperature is a tray with a fighting chance to work even better for you.
Mind The Type of Food Being Thawed
As mentioned before, different types of food require different amounts of thawing time. Things like veggies will not take too long.
If you’re defrosting meat, particularly thick cuts, it will take more time to thaw on the tray. Anytime you cook, it will require some forethought and planning.
Thawing trays help drastically cut down thawing time, but you still need to factor in what you’re going to defrost before using one.
Have Plastic Baggies and Wrap on Standby
While you consider what you need to defrost, pay heed to the food’s makeup. Certain foods leave more bacteria in their wake than others.
For example, thawing out a package of frozen asparagus may be a bit watery, but creates an insurmountable mess.
If you’re planning on defrosting something like a frozen steak, pork chop, brisket, or a chicken breast, then you need some armor.
Sealed plastic bags, like Ziploc, or plastic wrap would be smart things to have on hand when you’re using thawing trays.
Liquids from thawed meat are an ideal playground for bacteria to eventually gather. It also makes for a messy clean-up.
Make sure to use plastic when thawing meat, especially when it’s ground. It’s actually a good rule of thumb for any food that is super wet and comprised of tiny pieces.
Double Up on Plates For Quicker Thaws
Doubling the trays could help you quicken the thaw. It’s not the worst idea to have at least two thawing trays on hand. You can always place food on a tray and then put another thawing tray on top of the food.
It creates a thaw coming from both sides and could quicken the defrosting time. Always make sure the base thawing tray is on a neutral surface like wood (cutting boards are perfect).
Ready to add some thawing trays to your kitchen accessories? It may be one of the best investments you can make to save time when cooking.
- ❤NATURAL HEAT: Instead of using microwave, electricity, hot water to defrost food fast and quick, it is a healthy way to thaw meat or frozen food quickly and naturally by defrosting master tray, while retains the essential Nutrients and Vitamins of food. The meat defroster tray is wonder and magic!
- ❤SUITABLE FOR MULTIPLE FOODS: The size of defrosting plate for meat is: 13.65 in * 7.8 in. The large and flat surface enables you to thaw multiple items together, such as small food like breast or bacon or chicken or fish or burger patties or vegetables or broccoli, large pieces of meats or steak!
- ❤GOOD QUALITY AND EASY TO CLEAN: Aluminium has thermal conductivity and speeds food thaw, and large size of thawing tray for frozen meat is faster than small, which will save you more time while cooking. This non-stick coated defrosting board makes it easier to remove food from the surface and easy to clean. The thick Aluminium of thawing plate resists warping or bending.
- ❤7 PACKS IN ONE SET: A large defrosting plate with four red silicone corners, one sponge, and one hanging rope. It is easy to pick up and put it down with silicone corners, and every corner is red and fully fit with the tray. You had better to use the silicone sponge to wash the tray to avoid damaging non-stick surface and reducing the defrosting effect. There are two holes in the edge of the defrost plate, so you can hang the tray with hanging rope. It is easy to store and save space.
- ❤100% GUARANTEE: If you're not satisfied with our tray within 30 days, feel free to send it back for a full refund. In addition, if you have any question, please feel free to contact us, and we will reply you within 24 hours.
- QUICK AND EVEN THAWING: Made of highly conductive food-safe aluminum, this tray will come to room temperature and will defrost your food item quickly and safely.
- PRESERVES NATURAL FLAVOR: Safe and eco-friendly way to thaw food. Preserves the natural tastes of your frozen food. Dimensions: 7.87” x 13.78” x .08”.
- EASY TO USE AND CLEAN: Simply place frozen food on the non-stick surface and it will defrost. To clean, use mild soap and soft sponge or cloth. Not dishwasher safe.
- SLEEK DESIGN: Large, non-stick and durable surface is very slim for convenient storage in compact places.
- GOOD QUALITY: Our meat defrosting tray is made of aluminum, it has thermal conductivity and speeds food thaw, and large size of thawing tray for frozen meat is faster than small, which will save you more time while cooking. It can defrost any frozen food including meat, poultry, fish, cheese and vegetables. This non-stick coated defrosting board makes it easier to remove food from the surface and easy to clean.
- USE WITH MULTIPLE FROZEN FOODS: The size of defrosting tray is 11.6 x 8.2 x 0.08 inches. It is very simple to use, place your food on the thaw master defroster tray and speed up the defrosting process. The large and flat surface enables you to thaw multiple items together, such as small food like breast, bacon, chicken, fish, burger patties, vegetables and large pieces of meats.
- NATURAL HEAT & SAFE: No chemicals, no smell or electricity, our meat defroster tray is the safest way to quickly defrost frozen food while retaining all its original taste and nutritional of your food. Our aluminum thawing board will generate natural heat and speed up the thawing process. It is a healthy way to thaw meat or frozen meal food quickly and naturally by rapid thaw defrosting tray.
- Perfect Design: Our defrosting plate board with high-precision surface design to keep the tray and counter clean. The rapid thaw heating tray has a large and flat surface that makes thawing much easier and owing to its perfect design, you can easily accommodate multiple frozen items. The non-slip feet on each corner allowing you easily handle the tray.
- STORAGE EASILY: Our Defrost tray not only can it easily slide into a narrow space, but it can also be easily hung anywhere in the kitchen, making cooking easier and more convenient.
- [Meat Defrosting Tray] The defrosting tray is made of upgraded food grade aviation aluminum, a kind of metal that is highly effective at transferring heat. When a hot and cold item touch they will be the same temperature. It has a teflon coating, help defrost meat in quick, easy and effective way.
- [Lock Nutrition & Keep Original Meat Taste] The quickest way to meat defroster is microwave, but lossing nutrition. If you put frozen meat in the ceramic plate, it will take so long and breed bacteria. Our thawing plate for frozen meat can keep the original taste of meat and lock nutrition, no worrying about bacteria developing.
- [Defrosting Tray for Frozen Meat ] The size of our defroster tray is 14"/36cm in length and 8"/21cm in width, which is the largest size produced in our factory, suitable for thawing frozen food, such as meat, steak, chicken breast, ground beef, bacon and vegetables. Helpful kitchen tool for home and outdoor party.
- [Energy Saving & Time Saving] Our meat defrosting tray is energy efficient with no plug or cables. And the speed of thrawing meat is 8 times higher than ceramic plate, usually half an hour to 1 hour, depending on the thickness of the meat, and the contact area of the dish, the larger the contact area, the faster the thawing speed.
- [Rubbers on Corners] Our defrosting plate board is exquisite packaged, and there are 4 rubber foot rests in the package to raise it for convenient move. At the same time, it allows air to circulate on the upper and lower layers of the defrosting mat to accelerate thrawing. If you have any problem, please give priority to contact us, we are online 24-7 to help you.