This guide will help narrow down the best kitchen cleaver knife options within your budget that fits your needs.
Based on our own staff’s experience, in-depth research in premium trade subscriptions, and crunching publicly available user reviews, we’ve curated the thousands of options on the market for a few that fit each typical use.
Whether you are looking for slicing brisket or dicing ham or prepping neck bones, or going after marrow, a good kitchen cleaver knife is must-have kitchen appliance.
Here are the details for all the best kitchen clever knife options.
Mueller 7-inch Meat Cleaver Knife
- Premium Durability And Quality - Mueller Super Sharp Cleaver Knife is made of high-quality stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion and discoloration, quickly re-sharpens, easy to clean and maintain.
- Multi-purpose Cleaver’s Knife - Designed to be multipurpose knife for professional applications and it can be used for your daily kitchen tasks, this durable knife's razor sharp and laser-tested blade effortlessly chops, minces, slices and dices. It is suitable for both home and restaurant kitchens.
- Extremely Sharp Edge - Sharpness is key to achieving the best cuts and this is evident in the knife's blade which is quite sharp and will remain this way even after tough tasks such as cutting tough all kinds of meat or removing flesh from bones. The sharpness is further boosted by use of the latest engineering.
- Safety And Comfort- To make it more professional and minimize any fatigue, finger numbness or aches after holding it continuously for an extended time the knife's handle is ergonomic and provides you a secure comfortable grip, not easy to slip, sturdy and labor-saving.
- Superior Quality With Mueller - We are here to offer you only the best quality products designed to make your life easier. If you need any help, please feel free to contact us. Our unparalleled 24/7 live telephone customer support is ready and waiting to assist with anything you need!
The Mueller 7-inch Meat Cleaver Knife is a great option for anyone looking for a quality knife that can handle tough slicing tasks. The knife is made of high-quality stainless steel that resists rust, corrosion and discoloration, and is quick to re-sharpens.
It also features a sharp edge that is perfect for cutting through meat with ease. Additionally, the handle is ergonomic and provides a comfortable grip, making it easy to use for extended periods of time.
JA HENCKELS Meat Cleaver, 6″
- Made in Spain
- Fabricated from high quality German stainless steel
- Fully forged construction offers durability and a seamless transition from blade to handle
- Professional, satin finished blade boasts precision cutting and is finely honed for long lasting sharpness
- Ergonomic, traditional triple rivet handle gives balance and comfort
If you’re looking for meat cleavers that can handle some serious chopping, the Henckels Meat Cleaver is a great option. This cleaver is made of high quality German stainless steel, and it has a precision-cut blade that’s finely honed for long lasting sharpness.
The ergonomic, traditional triple rivet handle gives you balance and comfort, while the dishwasher safe design makes cleanup a breeze. Plus, the heavy 6 inch cleaver is perfect for chopping through joints and cutting bone.
Wüsthof Classic Cleaver – 6″
- Knife is precision forged from a single piece of sturdy high-carbon steel (X50 Cr MoV 15) that resists stains and corrosion
- Full tang is triple riveted to the handle for exceptional durability
- Perfect for breaking down larger cuts of meat, this heavy German cleaver is designed to cut through bone. Its finely honed high-carbon-steel blade works equally well for chopping and mincing tough vegetables. Heavy razor-sharp blade is designed for both heavy-duty and precision cutting
- Wüsthof's Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) ensures a 20% sharper blade with twice the edge retention
- Made in Germany
The Wüsthof Classic Cleaver – 6″ is a precision forged German cleaver that is designed for heavy-duty and precision cutting.
The full tang is triple riveted to the handle for exceptional durability, and the blade is finely honed from high-carbon steel for precision slicing.
The cleaver is also equipped with Wüsthof’s Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) for superior sharpness and cutting edge retention.
It’s excellent for slicing thick meat (or tough vegetables) with incredible longevity and durability thanks to its German steel and excellent design.
KYOKU Samurai Series – 7″ Cleaver Knife
- SUPERIOR STEEL - Manufactured with an ultra-sharp, cobalt-added, and cryogenically treated steel cutting core, this 7 in. Japanese cleaver boasts unrivaled performance and incredible edge retention.
- ERGONOMIC & WELL-BALANCED - The ergonomically designed blade helps alleviate fatigue and finger pains from long periods of slicing or chopping, perfectly blending performance and comfort.
- DURABLE HANDLE - The meticulously constructed, triple-riveted Pakkawood handle has gone through special treatment, making it extremely impervious to heat, cold, and moisture; accented with a mosaic pin.
- EXTREME SHARPNESS - The ruthlessly sharp edge is handcrafted by seasoned artisans to a mirror polish at 13-15° per sided using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method; cryogenically treated for incredible hardness, flexibility, and corrosion resistance.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - Our knives come with a lifetime warranty, and we offer free exchange or return if the item is defective.
The KYOKU Samurai Series – 7″ Cleaver Knife is a top-rated Japanese meat cleaver that is perfect for meat cutting and slicing. It is made with an ultra-sharp, cobalt-added, and cryogenically treated steel cutting core that offers unrivaled performance and incredible edge retention.
The ergonomically designed blade helps alleviate fatigue and finger pains from long periods of slicing or chopping, perfectly blending performance and comfort.
The meticulously constructed, triple-riveted Pakkawood wooden handle has gone through special treatment, making it extremely impervious to heat, cold, and moisture; accented with a mosaic pin.
The ruthlessly sharp edge is handcrafted by seasoned artisans to a mirror polish at 13-15° per sided using the traditional 3-step Honbazuke method; cryogenically treated for incredible hardness, flexibility, and corrosion resistance.
How To Choose a Kitchen Cleaver Knife
There are a few considerations when choosing the best kitchen cleaver knife. Here’s the primary ones to think about.
A good kitchen cleaver knife should run you about $150 or less, perhaps up to around $200. Since these knives are fairly specialized, I don’t expect there is much of a variation in quality between one under $100 and another at $200, unless you are looking at Japanese cleaver knives with high craftsmanship.
Lightweight knives are often useful for carving meat, but they don’t get the job done when it comes to cleaving through bone. Consider the weight of your knife before making a purchase.
Though a stainless steel blade can be easier to care for than carbon steel, carbon steel blades offer better edge retention and generally feel sharper, though they must be treated with more care.
If you plan on using it frequently or want easier care, go with stainless steel.
Most cleaver knives are around 6″ to 7″ however some longer 10 to 12″ cleavers are available. If you plan on using your cleaver for cutting larger pieces of meat like turkey, roast etc then the longer 10 to 12″ may be better suited.
This has a close relation to the weight. A heavier blade is going to be less curved, and a lighter knife will have a more curved edge.
Some cleaver knives are available with either an arched or flat edge. Also – some have holes with respect to traditional butchering.
FAQs about Kitchen Cleaver Knives
Here are some frequently asked questions about kitchen cleaver knives.
What is a cleaver knife used for?
A cleaver knife can be used for a wide range of kitchen tasks, such as scaling and cutting large pieces (or even whole birds) of meat and fish, and cutting through bone. The size and weight make them good for use by cooks who like to butcher their own meat or fish. Cleaver knives are also great for making cuts across the grain when slicing meats like roast beef or pork shoulder.
Can you use a cleaver for everything?
A cleaver is used primarily for breaking down cooked beef, chicken, or fish to make them easier to eat. The blade is usually (but not always) extremely thick with little taper. This makes it very heavy and awkward to use for chopping of vegetables. They can be used on some vegetables if you like the size and shape but they definitely cannot be used on everything.
Why is there a hole in a cleaver?
The hole in the blade of a cleaver is called a “finger notch.” It’s there to give the chef more leverage when cutting through meat and bones. The notch fits snugly over the thumb and allows the knife to be used like a hammer.
What is a meat cleaver good for?
A meat cleaver is a knife that can be used for heavy-duty tasks such as splitting joints from carcasses, hacking through bone and crushing skulls.
A great thing about a meat cleaver is that it won’t bend or dent in the same way a chef’s or carving knife would when cutting through tough bones (rather than around bone like a boning knife). With a good, sturdy handle with a knob on the end to provide extra grip when dealing with slippery cuts of meat, this will turn out to be something you use more often than expected! Some people use this type of knife for bread or pastry slicing but I wouldn’t recommend it. A serrated knife would be better.
Now that you know about the different kitchen cleaver knife options available, it’s time to decide which one is right for you. Consider your budget, how often you’ll use the knife, and what type of cutting you’ll be doing. If you have a specific brand in mind, check out their website or Amazon page to see if they offer a similar product. Kitchen cleavers are an essential tool in any cook’s arsenal, so make sure you pick the right one for your needs. Thanks for reading!