When it comes to enchilada sauces, there are plenty of brands and flavors to choose from. But with so many options on the market, it can be hard to know which sauce is the best one for you.
That’s why we’ve put together a list of the 8+ best enchilada sauces available today – with a focus on canned enchilada sauce options. Whether you’re looking for a classic red sauce or something more exotic (mole!), we’ve got you covered.
So check out our list and find the perfect enchilada sauce for your next meal!
Old El Paso Mild Enchilada Sauce
Old El Paso Mild Enchilada Sauce is a mild blend of Mexican-inspired spices that makes this sauce a staple in many kitchens. It makes the classic enchilada that so many people know and love. It’s used widely even outside of enchiladas. We like to mix it with tamales, empanadas, and more. We hesitate to call it the best canned enchilada sauce – but it’s certainly the most popular.
- ENCHILADA SAUCE: Classic enchilada sauce that the whole family will love
- QUICK & EASY MEALS: Includes recipe for making ten 6-inch enchiladas with two cans of this premade sauce
- MILD FLAVOR: This enchilada sauce adds big flavor to your favorite Mexican food
- ENDLESS OPTIONS: Let your creativity take center plate by using Old El Paso enchilada sauce in casseroles, soups, dips and more
- CONTAINS: 10 oz can (Pack of 12)
Siete Green Enchilada Sauce
The Siete Green Enchilada Sauce is a dairy-free sauce that is gluten-free, grain-free, paleo, climate friendly & vegan-friendly. It has a bright and tangy flavor and is made with whole vegetables, apple cider vinegar, and avocado oil. The sauce is perfect for baking into enchiladas, chilaquiles, chicken tacos, carnitas, soups, and more!
La Victoria Traditional Red Enchilada Sauce
If you’re looking for a classic red enchilada sauce with a simple, pure taste, look no further than La Victoria. With over 100 years of experience behind it, this brand knows how to make a great enchilada sauce.
- Mild enchilada sauce
- 1.5 grams of fat and 25 calories per serving
- Product without gluten containing ingredients
- Kosher certified
Wildtree Tia Rosa’s Red Enchilada Sauce
The Wildtree Tia Rosa’s Red Enchilada Sauce is a vegan and vegetarian blend that is made from certified organic, gluten-free, and dairy-free ingredients. The sauce includes a complex blend of tomatoes, chilies, authentic Mexican spices, and a hint of cocoa. It’s close to an authentic enchilada sauce. The sauce is perfect for enchiladas, quesadillas, and even as a slow cooker sauce for chicken broth and pork.
- Authentic Enchilada Flavor: Tia Rosa's Red Enchilada Sauce Blend is perfect for enchiladas, quesadillas, and even as a slow cooker sauce for chicken and pork; A healthy and flavorful sauce for your home-made meals
- Vegan & Vegetarian Blend: Made from certified organic, gluten-free, and dairy-free ingredients; It includes a complex blend of tomatoes, chilies, authentic Mexican spices and a hint of cocoa
- Inspire Exciting Mealtimes: Explore new tastes and instantly enhance your recipes with mouthwatering flavor; Use this tasty natural seasoning for top quality taste; Every Wildtree container includes up to 12 2-teaspoon servings
- Easy Cooking for a Healthy Lifestyle: Positively fuel your mind and body with food; We believe in making your taste buds happy and healthy with new, exciting flavors that improve your meal in a matter of seconds; Our quality products speak for themselves
- Make Cooking a Simple & Trusted Adventure: Wildtree makes food taste good; Only the highest quality, sustainably sourced ingredients for a healthy and delicious tasting meal; We provide high quality products that elevate expectations of what food can be
Patricia Quintana Achiote Cooking Sauce
Patricia Quintana Achiote Cooking Sauce is a delicious, authentic Mexican sauce that delivers a rush of flavors using blends of spices, annatto seeds, herbs, fruit, and vinegar. It’s perfect for making cochinita tacos, chicken fajitas wrap, grilled meats and veggies, and more. Patricia Quintana sauces are made with all-natural non-GMO ingredients from small Mexican farms using the freshest ingredients. They’re handcrafted artisanal sauces that allow you to easily cook original Mexican dishes at home in a fraction of the time.
- 𝗔𝗖𝗛𝗜𝗢𝗧𝗘 𝗦𝗔𝗨𝗖𝗘 𝗙𝗟𝗔𝗩𝗢𝗥: Delivering a delicious rush of flavors using blends of spices, annatto seeds, herbs, fruit, and vinegar to create the perfect balance of mild heat with a kick of spice for the authentic tasting Mayan Mexican meal.
- 𝗖𝗢𝗢𝗞 𝗔𝗨𝗧𝗛𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗜𝗖 𝗠𝗘𝗫𝗜𝗖𝗔𝗡 𝗗𝗜𝗦𝗛𝗘𝗦: The perfect match for making cochinita tacos, chicken fajitas wrap, grilled and more. Look for Patricia Quintana recipes for more cooking ideas and inspiration.
- 𝗧𝗔𝗞𝗘 𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗛𝗔𝗦𝗦𝗟𝗘 𝗢𝗨𝗧 𝗢𝗙 𝗖𝗢𝗢𝗞𝗜𝗡𝗚: Create a meal your whole family will enjoy. Simply pour your favorite Patricia Quintana sauce over 2 lb. of meat or veggies to create an easy authentic Mexican meal in just a fraction of the time.
- 𝗚𝗥𝗢𝗪𝗡 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗣𝗥𝗢𝗗𝗨𝗖𝗘𝗗 𝗜𝗡 𝗠𝗘𝗫𝗜𝗖𝗢: We source all of our ingredients from small Mexican farms where local growers carefully hand pick each ingredient and deliver them directly to our kitchen. We use the freshest all natural non-GMO ingredients to bring you the best handcrafted artisanal Mexican sauces available.
- 𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗗 𝗕𝗬 𝗪𝗢𝗥𝗟𝗗 𝗙𝗔𝗠𝗢𝗨𝗦 𝗖𝗛𝗘𝗙 𝗣𝗔𝗧𝗥𝗜𝗖𝗜𝗔 𝗤𝗨𝗜𝗡𝗧𝗔𝗡𝗔: Chef, author, culinary pioneer and Ambassador of Mexican Cuisine, Chef Patricia combines handmade and time-honored techniques to present you with gourmet sauces that allow you to easily cook original Mexican dishes at home in a fraction of the time.
Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
Hatch Green Chile Enchilada Sauce is a great buy for those who want to make New Mexican dishes. It has a mild heat level and no MSG or gluten. The sauce also tastes great, making it perfect for enchiladas or other recipes.
Las Palmas Red Chile Sauce
Las Palmas Red Chile Sauce is a medium red chile sauce that has a deep, spicy flavor from the red chile peppers used to make the sauce. This sauce is perfect for marinades, stir-fry, dressings, and meatballs. You can also use Las Palmas Medium Red Chili Sauce to make delicious Mexican staples. Authentic Mexican meals start here with so much flavor and so many opportunities.
- This medium red chile sauce has a deep, spicy flavor from the red chile peppers used to make the sauce.
- Spice up sauces for marinades, stir-fry, dressings and meatballs.
- Use Las Palmas Medium Red Chili Sauce to make delicious Mexican staples.
- Authentic Mexican meals start here
- So much flavor, so many opportunities
Frontera Foods Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
Looking for a delicious and easy-to-prepare enchilada sauce? Look no further than Frontera Foods Green Chile Enchilada Sauce. This sauce is made with fresh, all-natural ingredients and is ready in just 20 minutes. So whether you’re looking for a quick and easy weeknight meal or something special for a party, this sauce is sure to please.
- Green chile enchilada sauce, medium
- Fresh, all-natural ingredients
- Ready in 20 Mintues
Make Your Own!
Yes, this roundup is focused on enchilada sauces that you can buy and pour. But don’t overestimate how hard it is to make a good enchilada sauce. Here’s a quick guide.
How To Choose Best Enchilada Sauce
There are a few considerations when choosing the best enchilada sauce. Here are the primary ones to think about.
You can get a jar of red enchilada sauce for around $2. That’s cheap street taco food right there. Or, you could shell out $13 and more for the good stuff. It will last you a few years too.
Country Of Origin
Some sauces may be more difficult to find locally. This is where shopping online comes into play.
Some red enchilada sauces are hotter than others. Some are thicker. Look for one that has the consistency you prefer and a level of heat that isn’t overpowering.
Not too hot, not too mild. Any good quality red enchilada sauce will have some spice to it though.
Some brands will have a reputation for quality. Find a brand you trust and stick with them whenever possible.
FAQs about Enchilada Sauce
Here are some frequently asked questions about enchilada sauce.
What is the difference between red and green enchilada sauce?
There is a significant difference between red and green enchilada sauce. Red enchilada sauce is made with chili peppers, while green enchilada sauce omits the chili pepper and relies on tomatillos for its color. Red enchilada sauce is also typically spicier than green enchilada sauce – though this is only from commercial practice. In traditional sauces, green is hotter than red.
Is enchilada sauce spicy?
Enchilada sauces are spicy. Enchilada sauces have varying levels of spiciness, ranging from mild to very hot. The thickness also goes from thin enchiladas sauces to thick, making it an ideal type of food for enchiladas.
Can I make my own homemade enchilada sauce?
Yes, you can make your own enchilada sauce. A homemade enchilada sauce recipe will usually be simpler than a canned sauce. A homemade sauce will generally have fewer (but higher quality) ingredients, and will usually have less tomato sauce and more spcies and peppers. Although mole chiles give red beef sauces their characteristic dark mahogany color, any Mexican or Latin market will carry small cans of mole paste that must be diluted according to instructions before adding it to the mix.
Best Enchilada Sauces – Final Thoughts
If you’re looking for a delicious and easy way to spice up your enchilada meals, look no further than these 10+ best enchilada sauces. From mild and creamy sauces to spicy and zesty options, there’s sure to be a sauce that will make your next enchilada meal unforgettable. So what are you waiting for? Pick up one of these sauces today and start cooking!