This guide will help narrow down the best grill spatula (aka “grill turner”) for your home use within your budget that fits your needs.
Based on our own staff’s experience, in-depth research in premium trade subscriptions, and crunching publicly available user reviews, we’ve curated the thousands of options on the market for a few that fit each typical use.
Whether you are looking to flip burgers or carefully turn fish, the best grill spatula is a must-have grilling tool along with grilling tongs.
Here are the details for all the best grill spatula options.
OXO Good Grips Grilling Turner
This durable turner is perfect for flipping (well-seasoned!) burgers on the grill but also has many more uses when grilling meat or vegetables. It features a double-bend design that provides leverage for lifting, non-slip grips that offer comfort during use, and is dishwasher safe.
- Durable turner is perfect for flipping burgers on the grill
- Turner’s double-bend design provides leverage for lifting
- Non-slip grips for a comfortable hold
Grill Light USA Smart Spatula
Grill Light USA Smart Spatula is the perfect grill companion! This barbecue spatula is high-quality stainless steel that will last long with your outdoor cooking needs. It also has an in-built flashlight in the handle so you can see what’s on your grill even when it’s dark out! The handle is designed with a built-in hanging hole for easy storage.
- PERFECT FOR EVERYDAY GRILLING: Standard size spatula is great for any griller! Handle is designed with hanging hole for easy storage, making the Grillight Spatula your perfect go-to grilling tool!
- PREMIUM RESTAURANT GRADE: Stainless steel spatula is made with top-quality material to be heat safe, fully waterproof, and dishwasher safe (once removable flashlight is detached).
- EASILY GRILL IN THE DARK! Super bright LED flashlight built directly into handle has the perfect aim to light up your whole grill. The light is designed to mimic the afternoon sun so you always see the true color of your food.
- HIGH STRENGTH AND LONG-LASTING: We use high-grade 430-stainless steel that is thicker than most grill tools available and the best components available for our waterproof flashlight. LED bulb has 20,000 lifespan. AA batteries included. UNIQUE, INNOVATIVE GIFT: Give the grill master in your life a gift they'll cherish and use forever!
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: Grillight products are backed by a 100% Quality Guarantee and a Lifetime Warranty. Buy with confidence!
Rosle USA 25120 Burger Turner
The Rosle USA 25120 Burger Turner is a great tool for everyday outdoor use. It features a slanted profile that loosens and lifts foods, as well as a long handle that keeps hands at a safe but controllable distance. The perforated holes also allow liquids to easily drain.
- The slanted profile of the turner front edge loosens and lifts foods
- The long handle keeps hands at a safe but controllable distance
- Liquid can easily drain through the perforated holes
OXO Good Grips 16-inch Grilling Turner
If you’re looking for the perfect grill spatula, look no further than the OXO Good Grips 16-inch Grilling Turner. This durable, rust-resistant spatula is made of stainless steel and has a serrated cutting edge that’s perfect for testing for doneness.
The beveled edge easily slides under foods and is great for scraping, while the long handle keeps hands safely away from the grill. Plus, the soft, non-slip handle provides a comfortable grip.
- Durable, rust-resistant, stainless steel construction
- Serrated cutting edge perfect for testing for doneness
- Beveled edge easily slides under foods and is great for scraping
- Long handle keeps hands safely away from grill
- Soft, non-slip handle for a comfortable grip - Dishwasher safe
Gorilla Grip Flexible Oversized Slotted Spatula
If you want to cook like a pro, then it’s time to upgrade your kitchen equipment. One of the most overlooked items is the spatula. It can be used for so much more than just flipping burgers and eggs!
The Gorilla Grip Flexible Oversized Slotted Spatula is an all-purpose tool that features thin edges and elongated slots for easy grease drainage and efficient cooking.
The stainless steel head won’t bend or break under heavy weight, which means this is perfect for even delicate fish dishes as well as meats. Plus, its comfortable grip ensures slip resistance while making it easier on hands during long cooks outdoors. This versatile turner will make cooking a breeze whether indoors or out!
- Extremely Gentle on Delicate Foods: finally, a premium spatula that makes cooking easy; featuring thin beveled edges, this turner slides effortlessly under even the most delicate foods without tearing skin; super flexible so that it can easily get under all types of food, making it an all purpose tool; nonstick for easy food release
- Slots for Grease Drainage: featuring elongated slots throughout, this spatula allows for easy grease drainage so your meals will be tastier; also a great option for poaching, so the liquid can fall easily back into the pot
- Oversized Head for Maximum Durability: with a durable, oversized stainless steel head, this spatula will easily flip all types of food, from delicate fish to meats and more; it won’t bend or break under the weight of even the heaviest cuts; plus, it’s rust resistant for long lasting use
- Comfortable Grip: features a soft touch rubber handle that helps provide slip resistance; comfortable and ergonomic grip makes the spatula easy to use
- Dishwasher Safe: spatula is dishwasher safe for an easy clean, or simply rinse with water and towel dry
How To Choose The Best Grill Spatula
There are a few considerations when choosing the best grill spatula. Here are the primary ones to think about.
First, think about what you’ll be using the spatula for. If you’ll mostly be flipping burgers, you’ll want a different spatula than if you’ll be using it to move chicken skewers.
Next, consider the material. If you’re going to be using the spatula on a grill, you’ll want a heat-resistant one. If you’re only going to be using it for cooking indoors, any old spatula will do.
Finally, think about the size and shape of the spatula. You want one that’s big enough to fit your food, but not so big that it becomes difficult to maneuver. The shape of the spatula is also important – you don’t want one with a thin edge that’ll bend when you try to flip heavier foods.
FAQs about Grill Spatulas
Here are some frequently asked questions about grill spatulas.
What are the different types of grill spatulas?
Grill spatula types can broadly be classified as either a barbecue turner or a precise turner, which is usually used for fish. A barbecue turner has a broad blade that is used for flipping burgers and larger items, whereas the precise turner is more flexible with a shorter blade that can get into tiny areas.
What are the benefits of using a grill spatula over tongs?
Grill Spatulas give you better control when you have to flip meat or fish on a grill. You can use them to flip with precision, or even scrape and remove food from the grill in one piece.
What are some common uses for a grill spatula?
Grill spatulas are perfect for flipping burgers, chicken, steaks, and other types of meat on the grill. They are also great for moving vegetables and other food items around on the cooking surface. Some grill spatulas have a serrated edge that can be used to cut grilled food items like burgers and steaks.
What are some common problems with grill spatulas?
Some common problems with grill spatulas are scrapping the grill surface (which can wear it down quickly) and also food produce sliding off while grilling.
Grill spatulas, or turners, are becoming more important than ever when cooking outdoors. They help you safely move food over the coals without having to constantly watch them, while still leaving your hands free for other tasks. If you’ve had trouble finding an ideal one for your own outdoor cooking needs so far, check out our list of some of the best choices above!
How can I clean my grill spatula?
Clean grill spatulas with a wire brush while they are still warm to remove any leftover food or debris. If the spatula is really dirty, you can soak it in hot, soapy water for a few minutes before scrubbing it with the brush. Rinse well and dry before using. Many spatulas are dishwasher safe.
Whether you are using a gas grill, charcoal grill, or pellet grill (or electric griddle), grill spatulas are the humble workhorse. It is a grill tool that you’ll find yourself using again and again. That’s why our two favorite grill spatulas are so simple and effective.
They’ve been around for years and have proven their worth over time, yet neither is expensive or fancy. And if you’re buying a spatula for a gift, these are the ones that will please even the pickiest griller on your list.