This guide will help narrow down the best dumpling steamer for your kitchen within your budget that fits your needs.
Based on our own staff’s experience, in-depth research in premium trade subscriptions, and crunching publicly available user reviews, we’ve curated the thousands of options on the market for a few that fit each typical use.
Whether you are looking for fun experimentation or just have a craving for lots of not-frozen dumplings, a good dumpling steamer is a fun & creative kitchen appliance (though not super-necessary).
Here are the details for all the best dumpling steamer options.
Reishunger Bamboo Steamer Handmade Basket
The Reishunger Bamboo Steamer Handmade Basket is the perfect way to cook your favorite Asian foods. This 2-tier steamer is made with high-quality bamboo and features an extra-tight weave lid to ensure even cooking.
The stackable design allows you to cook multiple servings simultaneously, and the dome-shaped lid makes it easy to steam rice, vegetables, fish, and dumplings. The bamboo steamer is also ideal for serving food, reducing the need to transfer to another container after cooking.
- YOUR FAVORITE ASIAN FOODS - Cook and serve Dim Sum, Dumplings, Rice, Fish, Vegetables and Meat the traditional way, with the Reishunger Bamboo Steamer
- A HEALTHIER TYPE OF COOKING - Using a bamboo steamer to cook your food is a lot better than frying or grilling. By steaming, rice and other delicacies are gently cooked by the rising steam alone. Delicious flavors and valuable nutrients are not lost through the cooking process
- STACKABLE 2-TIER DESIGN - The Bamboo Steamer features 2 tiers that allow you to cook multiple servings simultaneously. You can put fish or dumplings on one tier while cooking rice or vegetables on the other layer. The dome shaped lid is made with an extra tight weave to ensure the perfect cooking temperature, evenly throughout the baskets.
- SERVE YOUR FOOD IN STYLE - The Reishunger Bamboo Steamer is ideal for serving food, reducing the need to transfer to another container after cooking. The high-quality bamboo is an eye-catching focal point at mealtime
- EASY CLEANING - Simply rinse the bottom of the steamer with hot water and a drop of dish soap (if necessary). Dry with a kitchen towel, or air-dry in a place away from direct sunlight. NOT dishwasher safe.
Kitchy Kitch 10 Inch Bamboo Steamer 2 tier Basket for Chinese Dumpling
Kitchy Kitch Bamboo Steamer 10 inch 2 tier Basket for Chinese Dumpling is the perfect addition to your kitchen. This steamer bamboo basket is retains moisture and does not make food damp, unlike other steamers.
The set comes with chopsticks, tongs, sauce dish, liners, and an instruction manual so you can start cooking right away. Whether it’s dumplings or meat vegetables or Thai dishes – this tool will be your friend in the kitchen!
Annie’s Kitchen Premium 8″ – Handmade Bamboo Steamer
Annie’s Kitchen Premium 8″ – Handmade Bamboo Steamer is a perfect bamboo steamer set for any Chinese cuisine & Asian cuisine. No need to worry about the bamboo burning and its heat-resistant design makes this steamer perfect for all types of foods.
This set includes everything you need to get your cooking started: 2 tier bamboo steamer with dome lid, funnel, and rice paddle, and a liner pack.
The Annie’s Kitchen Premium 8″ – Handmade Bamboo Steamer also has a wider strip of bamboo giving you that 2 inches inside wall height for increased capacity and a taller domed lid further expanding your steaming capabilities.
Get a taste of your favorite dim sum treats in the comfort of your home with Annie’s Kitchen bamboo steamer.
Open weave handwoven design allows more steam by reducing cooking time. A higher dome shape lid helps circulate more steam from the boiling water naturally and its heat-resistant design makes this steamer perfect for all types of foods.
- Experience the difference. It's not just another kitchen gadget. Works great with wok or stainless steamer pot. Once you prepare a meal with our 2” depth steamer baskets, you'll wonder how you ever lived without one. Annie's Kitchen bamboo steamer allows you to preserve the flavor, texture, minerals, and nutrients of your food. It's more than just a dumpling steamer kit or bun steamer. Prepare Asian inspired dishes and enjoy perfectly moist and delicious fish, vegetables, rice, meats, and more.
- Everything you need for authentic dining - We include 2-tiered 8” steamer baskets with lid, 4 reusable and washable cotton liners, 2 sets of durable bamboo chopsticks, and a dumpling maker with spoon that’s made from wheat straw. Try the art of steaming long practiced by Chinese cooks and discover an ancient and ingenious way to make foods quickly with the perfect crispness and flavor.
- Quick, easy, and delicious - Spend less time in the kitchen preparing and cleaning up meals. Use one layer as a veggie steamer basket and one layer for meats or seafood. Our hand woven baskets have an open weave design, allowing more steam to pass through and foods to steam quickly. Place the food on top of the liner, stack baskets, then place baskets on top of an inch or more of boiling water. You're done, just sit and let the magic happen.
- You are what you eat - Layer fresh herbs, spices, or aromatics between meats and vegetables. Steam over broth instead of water for enhanced flavor. Our steamer basket set provides you with infinite possibilities for creating mouthwatering foods with top nutritional value. Enjoy dim sum, tender juicy chicken breasts, or crispy veggies. Our interlocking steamer baskets allow you to make a full course meal in no time.
- Annie's Kitchen means quality you can trust - We insist on the very best for our customers. 100% hand woven baskets that are naturally BPA free and made of ethically sourced bamboo. All-natural, reusable and washable cotton liners. We never use glue or chemicals and every part of our kit is biodegradable. Quality materials ensure durability and longevity.
Stainless Steel Dim Sum Steamer
The Stainless Steel Dim Sum Steamer is one of those tools that will make your life easier. It’s lightweight, sturdy, and functional for serving delicious dim sum & steamed dumplings! This food steamer also has an attractive design with easy-to-clean exterior dimensions of 6″ Diameter x 2.5″ Height (Exterior).
Made from stainless steel this steamer fits most instant pot appliances and rice steamers (Interior Dimensions: 6″ Diameter x 1.75″ Height). Unlike a bamboo steamer basket, it is dishwasher-safe, will not warp over time, and does not need steamer liners.
- Stainless steel, light weight, sturdy dim sum steamer.
- Functional, attractive, easy, practical way to serve delicious dim sum.
- Lids sold separately.
- Interior Dimensions: 6" Diameter x 1.75" Height / Exterior Dimensions: 6.25" Diameter x 2.5" Height.
How To Choose The Best Dumpling Steamer
Here are a few considerations for choosing the best bamboo steamer for your kitchen.
How much are you willing to pay for a dumpling steamer? Dumpling steamers can be found on Amazon for as little as $7.99 or they can be more than $100.00.
How many people are you planning to serve with your dumplings? Many steamers have different size baskets so you can cook more or less.
You may want to invest in a steamer with an adjustable height so you can steam different size pans of dumplings at the same time.
Ease Of Use
How easy do you need your dumpling steamer to be? Some steamers have added features such as automatic timers, height adjustability, and removable baskets.
Warranty – Does it come with a warranty? Some manufacturers offer a one-year warranty on their products. Others may only offer a 30-day warranty or none at all, depending on the product.
Ease of Cleaning
Some of the ease of cleaning comes down to the quality of bamboo and weaver. Keeping your dumpling steamer clean is essential to having good-tasting food.
An effective way to keep your steamer clean is to pre-soak it in hot water for 10 minutes. Then use a non-abrasive cloth or sponge to wipe it down before putting it in the dishwasher.
Steamer Kit vs. Basket Only
Some steamer kits include everything you need, except the food. Some of these come with dumpling shapers and chopsticks, others do not. And others include a bamboo steamer and steaming rack.
If you already have the chopsticks, metal dumpling shaper, and storage containers consider getting just a bamboo steamer and a separate metal steaming stand. This will give you more flexibility when cooking your dumplings or other foods (like sides).
Bamboo vs. Metal
Bamboo and metal steamers both have their pros and cons. Natural bamboo steamer baskets are usually half the price of a metal one, however, they can warp when exposed to high heat for an extended period making them less effective as a dumpling steamer (or as a general fish / meat steamer).
They are also the traditional and proper way to make dumplings. The bamboo has a way of regulating the steam to get the right taste.
Metal dumplings & dim sum baskets will last a long time. They will also fit directly in most Instant Pots or rice steamers, so they save space on storage.
FAQs about Best Dumpling Steamers
Here are some frequently asked questions about dumpling steamers.
What are the different types of dumpling steamers?
There are three types of dumpling steamers: the single-level, the stacked, and the bamboo. The single-level steamer is probably the most common and simplest type. It has one tier or level for holding food.
The stacked steamer is similar to the single-level, but it has multiple tiers or levels that allow you to cook more food at one time. The bamboo steamer is a traditional type of steamer that’s often used in Asia. It’s made from bamboo strips woven together and has two or three tiers.
What is the best material for a dumpling steamer?
Bamboo is the traditional and proper way to steam dumplings. However, a metal basket will last much longer and take up less space.
Can I use a dumpling steamer to cook other things?
You can cook many different types of food with a dumpling steamer – not just dumplings!
You could steam vegetables, shrimp, or other types of seafood in a sauce or broth to add flavor and nutrients or try a dessert such as custard cups. Dumplings are usually eaten by themselves but you could also use the steamer to prepare rice dishes.
Asian cuisine is famous for its dumplings. Whether it’s fried, steamed, boiled, or baked, the best way to cook them is in a high-quality dumpling steamer!
We know that you want your food to turn out just right every time and with this article, we hope that you find the perfect one for your needs. Now grab your favorite sauce and enjoy!