This guide will help narrow down the best vacuum sealer for your home use within your budget that fits your needs.
Based on our own staff’s experience, in-depth research in premium trade subscriptions, and crunching publicly available user vacuum sealer reviews, we’ve curated the thousands of options on the market for a few that fit each typical use.
Whether you are looking for a vacuum seal for food preservation, marinating and slow cooking, or sous vide cooking – or simply to reduce food waste & improve food storage, the right vacuum sealer is a must-have kitchen appliance.
Here are the details on each option…
Best Value – Vacuum Sealer Machine By Mueller
The Vacuum Sealer Machine by Mueller is the best food vacuum sealer for those looking for an affordable and easy-to-use vacuum sealer. This machine is fully automatic, has dual sealing modes, and comes with everything you need to get started right out of the box (including vacuum sealing bags).
The Mueller vacuum sealer was subjected to harsh laboratory testing to effectively increase food shelf life and keep doing so for years to come. Customers consistently give high praise to this kitchen appliance, stating that it is simple to use and works great. At only $45, this vacuum sealer is an excellent value for those looking for a reliable way to store food.
- Save Money And Time: Cooking and meal preparation is now easier, more economical and faster, as you will be able to equip and organize your freezer, with fresh food ready to be defrosted and served or fresh ingredients instead of freezer burned food filled with ice crystals which will probably end up in the trash can.
- Couldn’t Be Easier: Fully automatic simple electric plug in design with the control center placed on the top panel and soft touch digital buttons along with led indicator lights. A smart device at your family’s service!
- Dual Sealing Modes: Useful and practical, the Mueller vacuum sealing system is cleverly designed HAVING two selectable modes to provide your food with the best possible preservation based on the type of food you want to seal. You can choose the dry setting for solid food items and the moist setting for poached, simmered or steamed food.
- Trusted Mueller Quality Lab Tested: Vacuum sealers preserve food up to 5 times longer than zipper baggies or containers, basically depending on the type of food. The Mueller Vacuum Sealer however, was subjected to harsh laboratory testing to effectively increase food shelf life and keep doing so for years to come.
- Everything You Need Right Out Of The Box: Along with the vacuum sealer and the air suction hose, the Mueller vacuum sealer package also includes: 5 medium vacuum bags (7.8” x 11.8”) and one extra-long vacuum bag roll (7.8” x 79.0”), both kinds being reusable and waterproof. A complete bundle right out of the box.
Best Upgrade – FoodSaver V4400 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer
The FoodSaver V4400 2-in-1 Vacuum Sealer is the perfect vacuum sealer for anyone who wants to save money on food. Food Saver is the name brand in the vacuum sealer product line and builds reliable products with an emphasis on ease of use.
The FoodSaver vacuum sealer can preserve meat with the system in the freezer for up to 3 years, and best of all it will still taste fresh. It also helps prep ahead meals, leftovers, and produce stored in the fridge stay fresh up to weeks later instead of spoiling within days. This FoodSaver has automatic bag detection & automatic food sealer that makes sealing easier than ever by just putting a vacuum sealer bag into the chamber and letting it do its job; built-in roll storage and cutter let you easily make custom-sized bags to fit whatever you’re sealing; LED light indicators to guide you through the process while ensuring your food stays fresh.
The V4440 is durable, high quality, and backed by a 5-year limited warranty. Foodsaver appliances are ETL or UL certified by Nationally Recognized Test Laboratories for compliance with applicable product safety test standards.
- Seal freshness in: Meat preserved with the FoodSaver system in the freezer can last up to 3 years and still taste fresh, flavorful, and freezer burn free; Prep ahead meals, leftovers, and produce stored in the fridge will stay fresh up to weeks later instead of spoiling in days
- Automatic bag detection: Automatic bag detection makes vacuum sealing easier than ever: Simply put the bag in the vacuum chamber and the machine does the rest to ensure your food stays fresh and flavorful
- Simple to use: Built in roll storage and cutter lets you easily make custom sized bags to fit whatever you seal, while led light indicators easily guide you through the vacuum sealing process
- Very consistent sealing: Guaranteed to reach an optimal vacuum level and airtight seal; The V4440 is durable, high quality, and backed by a 5 year limited warranty
- Automatic moisture detection: Smart technology automatically detects moisture and switches to the correct mode to ensure an airtight seal is achieved. The patented removable drip tray will catch any overflow liquid and is dishwasher safe, making this kitchen appliance easy to clean and maintain
Best Commercial / Heavy Duty – VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer
The VacMaster VP215 Chamber Vacuum Sealer is a great option for those looking for a heavy-duty or commercial vacuum sealer. It’s equipped with a 1/4 HP rotary oil pump that can manage larger loads, making it perfect for small restaurants, culinary institutions, delicatessens, catering, or hunters and fishers.
The double seal on each bag ensures a complete and lasting seal that’s twice as strong as other machines. This reliable and quiet chamber vacuum sealer is perfect for liquids and liquid-rich foods like fresh meats, soups, marinades, and stews.
- Equipped with a 1/4 HP rotary oil pump that can manage larger loads.
- Overall Dimensions (WxDxH): 14” x 20” x 15” | Chamber Size (WxDxH): 11.25” x 15.25” x 5” | Weight: 84 lbs
- Heavy-duty yet easy to use, the VP215 extends food's shelf life up to five times longer.
- A double seal on each bag ensures a complete and lasting seal that's twice as strong as other machines.
- This reliable and quiet vacuum sealer is perfect for small restaurants, culinary institutions, delicatessens, catering, or hunters and fishers.
How To Choose a Vacuum Sealer for Meat
The food vacuum sealer is a kitchen and home appliance that has been around for decades. It was invented in the 1950s and it’s still going strong today. If you’re looking to buy one, there are many considerations to take into account.
You should know what type of vacuum sealer you’re looking for.
Countertop vacuum sealers are the most commonly available type of sealer for home kitchens. Often weighing not more than a few pounds, and rarely exceeding two feet in length, they’re a compact and convenient choice for vacuum sealing small portions of food. The quality of fans and sealing strips can vary, however, making them a less reliable choice. They are significantly cheaper than chamber sealers, and much easier to buy in stores.
Chamber vacuum sealers are the gold standard for food preparation and a necessity in today’s high-class kitchens. By holding the product to be sealed in a pressurized chamber, they achieve a much tighter seal than countertop vacuum sealers. They’re large and expensive, but create a seal that is guaranteed to preserve your foods’ freshness for as long as possible.
Size & Capacity
First of all, you should look at the size and capacity of a sealer which is important because it determines how much food can be placed inside. Also, it’ll determine where exactly the sealer will sit in your kitchen as you want it to be conveniently accessible.
Another consideration is the features of a sealer. All will get the job done but some may be more advanced than others. For example, built-in roll storage makes it easier to keep bags on hand. Also, their size and shape can vary—some are square while others are rectangular or even circular.
Look for a pulsing function, which is useful for wet sealing foods like sous vide and stews. A bag cutter is also very useful for preventing messes.
Dry Sealing Performance
Consider how well it’s rated for sealing dry meats with no marinade or liquid. Dry sealed meat will stay fresh for up to 4 times longer than conventionally sealed meats.
Wet & Moist Food Sealing Performance
Consider how well it’s rated for sealing wet meats with a marinade or liquid. Wet sealed meats will stay fresh for up to twice as long compared to conventionally sealed foods.
Attachments & Accessories
Last but not least, consider the attachments and accessories included with your purchase. This will determine how versatile the food vacuum sealer can be.
The price of a vacuum sealer is difficult to estimate as it varies greatly depending on the brand and features, but you can expect to pay anywhere from $100 to $1000+.
You should also think about how loud it is. This can vary considerably between brands and models, but some are known to be incredibly loud. It’s important to make sure you don’t need to use it at night or early in the morning if there are people nearby who may be disturbed by the noise.
Best Vacuum Sealer Next Steps
Vacuum sealers are a great way to preserve food and keep it fresh for longer. They’ve been around for decades and they come with many considerations that you should think about before purchasing one. Be sure to also learn more about meat storage containers, vacuum sealers explained, and dehydrators for jerky.