When a man or woman prepares to carve up a roast, they often reach for the sharpest kitchen knife in their block. But when it comes to slicing meat at home, not all knives are created equal. In fact, there are specific knives that have been designed specifically for carving meats and cutting bone with ease.
The best meat carving knife is one that is designed with both convenience and safety in mind. The right choice will be able to effortlessly slice through tough cuts of meat while also being safe enough so as not to slip off the table if you’re using a wooden board instead of a cutting board.
It should also have a long blade with an edge on only one side so that you can safely cut against the grain without worrying about the meat slipping out of your grip. Most will have a granton blade as well.
If you’re looking for the best meat carving knife to add to your kitchen arsenal, then check out some of the following options:
Here are some details on our favorites.
Mercer Culinary M20410 Genesis 10-Inch Carving Knife
The Mercer Culinary M20410 Genesis 10-Inch Carving Knife is a wonderful addition to any modern kitchen. The high quality steel blade will hold its sharp edge for long periods of time, and the comfortable Santoprene handle will keep your hand from becoming fatigued when cutting through large items like roasts or brisket into flats and points. In addition, this knife comes with a lifetime warranty which means you can be confident in your purchase.
- QUALITY CONSTRUCTION: Knife is precision-forged with high-carbon German steel for better durability, and taper-ground edge allows for increased efficiency when cutting along with incredible long-lasting sharpness
- SUPERIOR DESIGN: The finest handle in forged cutlery; built to last ergonomic handle offers comfort and a non-slip grip, even with wet hands
- BEST USE: Sharp tines are perfect for piercing food; a compliment to any of Mercer Culinary's Carving Knives to easily slice and serve meats like chicken, ham, or turkey
- EASY CARE: To maximize the performance and longevity of your carving fork, carefully wash by hand with warm water and mild soap; rinse and dry completely with a soft towel. Do not place in dishwasher or submerge for long periods of time
- MERCER CULINARY GENESIS SERIES: Never stop experimenting in the kitchen; this Genesis fork is essential in every kitchen, perfect for professional use or the home cooking enthusiast
Victorinox 6.9013.22B Swiss Modern Carving Knife
Victorinox 6.9013.22B Swiss Modern Carving Knife is the perfect knife for your kitchen to help you succeed in all your culinary adventures. Whether you are just starting out or have been cooking for years, this high quality knife has the durability and precision to do any job with ease. If you want a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship, look no further than Victorinox.
What makes Victorinox knives so great? The blades are made of stainless steel that is both lightweight and durable at the same time. They are also easy to clean because they can be washed by hand or dishwasher-safe. Not only does it come with a lifetime warranty but it also offers superior stability, accuracy, and precision.
- A COUNTERTOP ESSENTIAL: As the master of your kitchen, you deserve the right tools to express your creativity. This indespensable knife allows you to dominate kitchen advantures that require precision.
- FIT FOR ALL TASKS. Designed to handle both small and large kitchen tasks with durability. Crafted with high carbon stainless steel, each knife is conical ground and ice tempered to ensure long-lasting sharpness.
- A CUT ABOVE THE REST: Our superior lightweight Swiss stainless steel blades provide precision, stability, and accuracy. They are easy to clean, extremely sharp and the prefect gift for everyday use or the culinary professional.
- TRUSTED SWISS QUALITY. Expertly crafted in Switzerland in 1884, Victorinox provides a lifetime guarantee against defects in material and workmanship. Making a lifetime commitment has never been so easy.
Wusthof Classic Carving Knife
When it comes to knives, few brands are as well known or respected as Wusthof. For over 200 years they have been producing top rated kitchen cutlery (including serrated knives to boning knives) that has carried the Solingen name. The company is family owned and every knife they produce meets the strictest quality standards of any culinary equipment in existence today.
This 8″ long meat carving knife features a narrower blade than a cook’s knife which allows for clean cuts through meats and its pointed tip helps guide meats away from bones for easy carving. Moreover, this German made kitchenware set includes a limited lifetime warranty and all products carry the Solingen name which means these blades will last you for generations with proper care. It also pairs with a good carving fork (and comes in a carving set).
- WÜSTHOF CLASSIC SERIES – 8" Long Meat Carving Knife with Full tang triple riveted synthetic polypropylene handles that resist fading, discoloration, heat and impact. The WÜSTHOF Classic Series has been our best-selling series for generations
- PRECISION FORGED – WÜSTHOF's Classic Series Knives are forged from a single block of High Carbon Stainless Steel and tempered to 58-degree HRC. The Precision Edge Technology (PEtec) yields a blade that is 20% sharper with twice the edge retention than previous models
- CARVING KNIFE - features a longer and narrower blade than a Cook’s Knife. This allows for the knife to cleanly cut through meats. The pointed tip is designed to help guide meat away from the bone
- DURABLE – WÜSTHOF Cutlery is crafted to resist corrosion and dulling. This German made Kitchen Knife set Comes with a limited Lifetime Warranty. WÜSTHOF Classic Series Knives feature a full bolster and finger guard
- CENTURIES OF TRADITION – Family owned for seven generations, WÜSTHOF was founded in Solingen, Germany over 200 years ago. WÜSTHOF’s cutlery carries the Solingen name, a designation reserved for products that meet the strictest quality standards
How To Choose Best Meat Carving Knife for Your Kitchen
There are several considerations that should be made before choosing a meat carving knife. They include:
Size and Length of Blade
Size is determined by the size of your carving board and preferences for ease of use. Therefore, you should look at the size requirements of your carving board to determine the best size knife. A blade that is too long or short may make the carving process difficult and uncomfortable. The length of the blade should also be considered to ensure that it is the right size for the task at hand.
Meat carving knives can range in price from around $15 to $200+. It is important to set a budget before shopping for a meat carving knife to ensure that you find the best knife for your needs without breaking the bank.
Shape – Pointed, curved etc.
The shape of the blade is also an important consideration. A pointed blade is ideal for slicing thin meats while a curved blade is better suited for larger cuts of meat.
The handle should be comfortable to hold and have a light grip. This will help to prevent hand fatigue during extended carving sessions.
FAQs about Meat Carving Knives
Here are some frequently asked questions about Meat Carving Knives.
What is the difference between a carving and a slicing knife?
A carving knife is often used to cut meat with bone-in meats or poultry, such as ham or turkey at the dining table. It has a long sharp blade than narrow to a fine tip. A slicing knife has even width the full length with a rounded, bull-nose tip. It is only used to make an even, thin slice on the largest of roasts such as prime rib. Unless you know you need a slicing knife, you probably need a carving knife instead.
How long should a carving knife be?
A carving knife should be between 8″ and 12″ – not too long to be unwieldy, but not too short to tackle larger pieces of meat. An 8 inch carving knife is typical.
Choosing the right meat carving knife for your kitchen can be tough because there are so many options to choose from. Hopefully, this guide has pointed you in the right direction so you can get to carving at home like you were seated at a Brazilian steakhouse.